- Alabama– Looks unstoppable; Next game: BYE
- Michigan– Defense looks unreal; Next game: @Michigan State
- Clemson– Good W, marquee game next Next game:@FSU
- Washington– Real or fake?; Next game: @Utah
- Louisville–Need help and need to continue blowing teams out; Next game: @Virginia
- Ohio State– How will the respond from a L; Next game:Northwestern
- Baylor– Have to run the table; Next game: @Texas
- Nebraska– Real season starts now; Next Game: @Wisconsin
- West Virginia– Quiet 6-0, need help from conference; Next game: @Oklahoma State
- Texas A&M-Conference will help but needs to win out ; Next game: New Mexico State
Week 8 had the biggest upset of the year as #2 Ohio State went on the road to Penn State and could not come away with the W. Other top teams held serve and many teams made statements such as Alabama and Washington at home. With over half the season played teams are now positioning themselves not only for the final 4 but their own conference title games and if week 8 is the start of the chaos the next month or so is going to be beyond fun to watch.
Best Game of the Week:
Defense optional in this 66-59 W for the Sooners. Normally 545 yards passing would be a great day, unless your opponent throws for 734 yards and tied the NCAA record for yards in a game. Baker Mayfield has to be happy with the W but has to be even more impressed with the rest of his offense. Joe Mixon had 5 tds in the game and the defense came up with a stop when they needed it, although it was one of the few stops of the game as only 4 punts happened.
Biggest Let Down of the Week:
Going to Happy Valley and playing a Penn State team with nothing to lose ended the Ohio State winning streak and put a damper on the final 4 hopes. A 24-21 defeat has many people wondering what happened to an Ohio State team that looked great on offense through the season. A blocked FG that was returned for a TD has to be the biggest question mark to me personally, as Ohio State ran the kick team out with about 10 seconds on the play clock and instead of calling a timeout they kicked the FG and had it returned, which sealed the game for Penn State. A big win for a coaching staff at Penn State looking for hope to save jobs and a lose that has the Ohio State fans and coaches questioning the readiness of this teams performance.
Biggest Winner of the Week:
I know, I know, once again I think they are the big winners, but this time I really mean it, Now that #2 lost this Washington team moves up to the top 4 and finally some national attention as ESPN’s college game-day will travel to Utah where this Washington team will play a top 20 Utah team. With so much on the line in this game, Jake Browning’s Heisman campaign, the Pac-12 title, or the final 4 positioning, this weeks game will go extremely far in telling us not only about those things but if this Washington team is here to stay for years to come.
My Top 10:
Thanks for reading everyone, comments, questions and anything else is always welcome. Follow me on Twitter @CFBDrew.